"Stoodleigh is a byway village standing well upon the hills to the west of the Exe valley with wooded, stream-watered coombes adding yet more beauty to the landscape. In the parish is Stoodleigh Beacon, 978 feet above sea-level, the highest point between Exmoor and Dartmoor and a magnificent viewpoint" - from "Tiverton and District", a guide produced by Tiverton District Council ca 1978
The History Group is made up of people who are interested in the history of the village, its buildings, farms, houses and people. If you would like more information about the Group or joining and are interested in helping with their research, please ring 351264.
A variety of information about the village has been gathered including -
- the Censuses from 1841 to 1911
- The Parish Tithe Map and associated records from 1841
- Transcripts of the Church Wardens Accounts from the 'Parish Chest' Records of the Church. (Copies of these have been deposited with the church).
- Photocopies and printed photographs from the 1946 Aerial views taken by the RAF over Stoodleigh as part of a National Air Survey.
- Group Photos from the 1950's, 60's and 70's.
- Information collected for a display commemorating those from the village who died in the First World War.
- Manor Court records from the 17th Century.
- Parish Council Minutes 1894-1919.
The Group is continuing with their data collection and hopes to make its records available at village functions for those interested in both family and village history and to answer queries from those whose families hailed from Stoodleigh, wherever in the world they have settled.
Information about the history of Stoodleigh Court and Estate is held by the Group. Stoodleigh Court was the home of Ravenswood School between 1928 and 1991. For those interested, information can be found about the School, its pupils and staff at www.ravenswoodschool.co.uk.
If you have family or other history queries relating to the village, or if you have any photos or other information, please contact email@example.com
If you are interested in local Stoodleigh history and would like to be involved or for information about the date of the next meeting of the History Group, see Events Calendar or ring 351264.
Devon County Council website has a page on the history of Stoodleigh.