"Stoodleigh ..... is a byway village standing well upon the hills to the west of the Exe valley with wooded, stream-watered coombes adding yet more beauty to the landscape. In the parish is Stoodleigh Beacon, 978 feet above sea-level, the highest point between Exmoor and Dartmoor and a magnificent viewpoint."
from "Tiverton and District", a guide produced by Tiverton District Council ca 1978
Stoodleigh History Group is made up of people who are interested in the history of the village, its buildings, farms, houses and people.
The Group held two open meetings in January and welcome new members. A further meeting is currently being arranged and the date will be published as soon as possible.
If you would like more information about the Group and are interested in joining or helping with the research, please ring 351317 or 351264.
* * * *
The Group will continue with its data collection and make its records available at village functions for those interested in both family and village history. Members also endeavour to answer queries from those whose families hailed from Stoodleigh, wherever in the world they have settled.
If you have family or other history queries relating to the village, or if you have any photos or other information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* * * *
Some of the information collated and held by the Group:
- the Censuses from 1841 to 1911
- The Parish Tithe Map and associated records from 1841
- Transcripts of the Church Wardens Accounts from the 'Parish Chest' Records of the Church. (Copies of these have been deposited with the church).
- Photocopies and printed photographs from the 1946 Aerial views taken by the RAF over Stoodleigh as part of a National Air Survey.
- Group Photos from the 1950's, 60's and 70's.
- Commemorating World War 1 and the Men of Stoodleigh - Information collected for a display commemorating those from the village who died in the First World War.
- Manor Court records from the 17th Century.
- Parish Council Minutes 1894-1919.
- History of Stoodleigh Court and Estate - Stoodleigh Court was the home of Ravenswood School between 1928 and 1991. For those interested, information can be found about the School, its pupils and staff at www.ravenswoodschool.co.uk.
Devon County Council website has a page on the history of Stoodleigh.